Posts in Category: Jakobs Creek RR

The background soon ready

It have taken some time to sand and paint the background, to make it ready for the final surface. But now I am there and have also startet to install the frontboard above the layout.

The first paint is on the wall

Have sanded all the transitions, and primed with first layer of paint today. Must sand over at least one more time and fix the places where there are some errors. The curve toward the ceiling, are not perfectly round in all locations.

I think it's been pretty good, but I'm curious if it will hold or if it will crack in the joints. Have not considered whether I should wallpaper the whole thing with a completely neutral wallpaper that can be painted on.

The question is whether it gets better, it will surely become some joints here, but I'm pretty good doing wallpaper after many years of decorating.Smile The great advantage of a wallpaper, is that any cracks do not seem so easy. A good paint may be able to be flexible enough and create the same effect?

Front Fascia and color
There will be a front fascia at the ceiling and I'm unsure of the color. Previously I have used and thought of using matt black, but it gets very high contrast. A dark green might try good, but again the high contrast. Have seen a few used more beige and coffee latte color, which is a bit more neutral. The same color will also be used to plant the front desk.
The facility's main lighting will be warm white LED stripes of brightness is good enough, or LED bulbs in halogen shelf. Anyway, I want to be able to create bright sunlight, a bright day in California.

  

Filling and sanding of the backdrop

I have done some work doing filling and sandig of the backdrop, so the surface can be as good as possible. The corners look good. After more filling and sanding, the next task is to prime the background. And may be some more filling and sanding if necesarry. I try to make it as good as possible before painting.

The backdrop is in place

All the plywood and corners for the backdrop and roof are installed. One of the corners are in place and the plastercloth model works well. Check also out the panorama of the layout room, made by 5 images.

 

The backdrop is in progress

I have done some work on the backdrop and roof. Soon I can start the sanding and surface preparation.

I have molded a testcorner, using a ballon and plasterclothing. It can be used, but I need to buy a bigger ballon.

  

Building the new permanent empire has started

The building of my new permanent layout empire has started. The preparation of the physical site, the layout room has started. The planning of the new layout is in a good position, so now the building of the background and roof has started.

I want to have no sharp corners between the background and roof, so in the corners I use paperpipes to mold concrete columns in, diameter 20 cm, that have been cut in 4 parts, each forming a 90 degrees curved element, to be placed in the corner, between the roof and walls.

 

Demolition Day, The End of a Layout

Tonight I have done some destruction. It has been Demolition Day for my old Section Layout. I has been clear for some time that I never would finish this layout, so after some inspirational work on the design of the plans for a new permanent layout, I got inspiration to remove the old layout. It is in 3 sections, I will save 2 of them, including the old Bjørkli Viaduct. But the middle section is now history.

I save only a small part having a few Wright turnouts, that I will use on the new permanent layout.